- Wash your hands first
- Sit or stand in front of a mirror, or lie back
- Tilt your head back, put the right number of drops into your eye and blink several times to make sure the drops cover your eye.
- If you don't like putting drops into your eye, try closing the eye and gently pulling the lower lid down. Aim the drop into the inside corner of the eye, then open it and let the drop run down. Or if you are suffering from dry, irritated eyes try Optrex ActiMist™ Eye Spray for Dry & Irritated Eyes for an easy to use, drop free solution.
- A good option for administering drops to youngsters is to lay the child on a bed with eyes closed and drop the required amount into the edge of the eye closest to the nose. The drops will fall into the eye when the child opens them, so get him/her to blink a few times while lying down
- Always carefully read and follow the full instructions about course of treatment and when to seek medical advice on the pack label/leaflet before use.
- Wash your hands before and after using the drops.
- To help avoid infection (and cross-contamination), don't touch the bottle tip with your finger or eyes.
- Check the drops aren't past their expiry date and check how long you can use them after opening. In most cases this is 28 days.
- To prevent infections developing or spreading, don't share eye drops.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare professional.